6 Monthly Check Up
At each dental health check, we look at various different things to assess the overall health of your mouth, our aim being to look for ways to keep you as healthy as possible and reduce your risk of future problems, so that you can always look and feel at your best.
At your visit you can expect the following;
- We ask you how healthy you feel your mouth is, and if you have any concerns you would like us to deal with?
- We ask if there anything in your medical condition, or in medicine you take which is likely to affect your dental health.
- We ask you happy with the appearance of your smile.
- We check your teeth to see that they are healthy and strong.
- We check that any fillings or restorations are still strong.
- We check your gum health – as we now know these are the foundations for teeth and are absolutely critical if you are to keep your teeth for life
- We check for the presence of plaque (which does all the damage to mouths – yet can be controlled to preserve health).
- We look around the soft tissues the inside and outside of your mouth, cheeks, lips, tongue, roof and floor to check for any signs of change that could be related to a range of health problems.
- We check inside, under and between the tooth for health*
- We check the bone which supports your teeth*
- We check your jaw joint and muscles to ensure they are healthy
- We check your bite to ensure it is comfortable and balanced
*Our checks of these aspects are updated via low dosage radiographs – usually taken every 1-2 years.
If we find there is any treatment required your dentist will discuss this with you at the end of your appointment. Our receptionist will then provide you with a written treatment plan and quote for the work that’s needed.
If no further treatment is needed our receptionist will invite you to book your next check up in 6 months time. If you prefer not to book this far in advance we will send out reminders near the time your next appointment is due either by email or a letter in the post.
Why we recommend a dental Check Up every 6 months
A dental check up is an important part of a patient’s wellbeing. A dental examination is not simply to just look for signs of tooth decay or gum disease. In reality, a dentist carries out a comprehensive examination looking at many areas of your oral health and overall health including your tooth and gum health, alignment, your lifestyle (smoking, diet, alcohol consumption, relevant medical conditions) and, very importantly, checking for signs of mouth cancer which can grow quickly in the mouth. Your dentist is able to spot the signs and symptoms of mouth cancer at an early stage, which is why we would advise that patients visit for a check up every 6 months .